Chicken pot pie is one of my favorite fall/winter meals. We don’t f*ck around when it comes to a pot pie recipe, and have tried so many. This recipe is the combination of multiple recipes, our seasoning preferences, and making it our own.
Time: 1 hour Servings: Its a freaking pie
• 2 pie crusts, homemade or store bought
• 1/3 cup butter
• ¼ cup chopped onion
• 1/3 cup all purpose flour
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp pepper
• 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
• ½ cup milk, we use whole
• 2 ½ cups cooked boneless chicken breast, chopped or shredded
• 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- Preheat oven to 425°F. (I usually cook the chicken breast needed for the pot pie in the oven at 350 for 35 mins prior to this step). Prepare your pie pan by putting one of the crusts onto the bottom. Save the second crust for later.
- In a deep saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring until it’s golden and has a nice aroma. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Mix well. Slowly add in broth and milk, stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- Add in chicken and mixed vegetables. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly to mix. Remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into a crust-lined pie pan. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Check on pot pie during the last 10 mins and add strips of foil to the browning edges if needed. Let stand 5-10 minutes before eating.
Leave a Reply