Ah the new year. The worst time of year to go to the gym because of everyone’s resolutions. There has got to be a study somewhere with the stats of how much longer you wait to use a leg press machine on January 5th than you would on February 5th. Back to resolutions though, the point of this post.
I’m not normally one to make resolutions, I just generally wish to be a better person than I was the year before. But this year I was into it. I think I got into the resolutions this year because I spent most of 2019 pregnant, and put a lot of goals and things I love doing on hold for a bit. What am I resolving to do? I’m sharing below, although I haven’t included every resolution because some are just best kept to ourselves.
- Spend more time outdoors….I already spend a lot of time outside. Most of the things I love to do are done outside. But you can always get out more. Being outside whether it’s walking the dogs, hiking, or fishing is me in my happy place. And why not spend more time in your happy place?
- Spend less time worrying about things that don’t matter.
- Be patient….I’m not a patient person. I am a stereotypical instant gratification millennial. I hate waiting for my dinner to cook to the point where I’ll skip steps of the recipe that I don’t think matter as much. I’ll be satisfied with this resolution if I just actually follow through with all the steps of my recipes this year.
- More live music in 2020….I LOVE going to shows. I grew up going to concerts pretty often, living 20 minutes outside of NYC made that easy. There’s always been a great music scene here in Vermont too, but in the last 2 years I went to significantly less shows than normally. And that’s just lame because I love it.
- Get a solid book club together this year….I used to be a part of a book club and it was the fucking best. It was a group of girls that met up monthly and each month one of us chose the location…always a restaurant or bar. We’d catch up over beers and talk briefly about a book we chose the prior month. It was so nice having that group of girls to see monthly, and I had the longest note in my phone of book recs that I’ve ever had. I basically only read pregnancy and baby books in 2019 and while that was very useful…it wasn’t fun. I want to read about murders and cheating scandals and kidnappings again in 2020. Preferably with a group of fab women.
- Don’t get poison ivy…this is more of a wish than a resolution. But I got poison ivy twice in the summer of 2019…and I think I’d rather be bathed in glitter (I absolutely hate glitter) then ever have it again. Pray for me folks.
- See a moose in the wild….also more of a wish than a resolution. But it is my DREAM to see a moose in the wild and 2020 seems like a great year for it to happen. Show me dem antlers Bullwinkle.
- Learn that it’s okay to just say “no”…I have come very far in recent years with this continued resolution. I used to say “yes” to all plans, including ones I had no interest in doing. I started saying “no” and being honest about it instead of saying “yes” and making excuses at the last minute. Sorry for my blunt honesty if you invite me somewhere and I say I don’t want to go, but at least you know in advance?
- Be more present…This is also a continued resolution. Present, meaning if you’re with friends at dinner…don’t be on your phone..be with friends at dinner. Just being more present in those situations and giving the people you are with the time and attention they deserve.
Annnd the rest are private. Can’t expose all my secret wants and desires after all.
Leave a Reply